TRIFED has established a Quality Control Research & Development at N.C.S. Beej Bhawan , IARI Campus, Pusa Complex, New Delhi 110012.
TRIFED R&D Centre is equipped with following modern /sophisticated instruments:
i. Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer.
ii. UV-Vis spectrophotometer.
iii. Electronic Analytical Balance.
iv. Viscometer -Brookfield RVTD Model.
v. Digital pH Meter.
vi. Hot plate rectangular with 3 heater control.
vii. Hot Air oven, Vacuum Oven.
viii. BOD Incubator, laminar Air Flow, vertical Autoclave etc.
ix. Others Accessories, standards and Chemicals.
Following two broad activities are being undertaken at R&D Centre:
A) Quality Control & Certification:
- The testing & certification of internal samples like spices, MFPs, Honey, Tamarind, Dry fruits, Herbal Products, Fish products and processed fruit products etc which are sold through
Tribes India outlets are being undertaken in the Laboratory. The process for NABL accreditation of R&D Laboratory has been initiated.
B) R&D initiative for value addition of selected MFPs :
The following seven R&D projects have been initiated through reputed Research Institutions and Universities.
1) Project: Preparation of Industrially Important Oleo- chemicals from Sal fat.
- Institution/ University: Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad
- Total cost: Rs.18.05 lakh.
- Date of Sanction: 24.11.08
Current Status: The study work is over and final report is awaited. The products based on Sal (Shorea robusta) fat, such as lubricant base - stocks, candles/ biocandle, polyurethane foams, smokeless fuel etc have been developed in the project at IICT, Hyderabad, which seem to hold significant promise for industrial application. Their evaluation for industries application is in progress.
2) Project: Exploration Sal seed oil cake as a source of organic manure, biopesticides and nitrification inhibitor
- Institution/ University: Amity University, Noida, U.P.
- Total cost: Rs. 16.90 Lakh.
- Date of Sanction: 17.11.08
Current Status: Final Project report has been submitted. Principal Investigator is asked to provide requisite quantity of value added Sal DOC for validation experiment. It has been found that oilcake is effective for control of nematode infected Tomato plant. Sal cake has good potential for production of Mushroom ( P. sajor caju and Calocybe indica) production with use of Sal cake. Sal khad prepared from Sal DOC after value addition is result in the higher productivity of different crops like Rice, Wheat, Soybean & Pulses etc.
3) Project: Solid state fermentation process for utilization of Forest By- products: Production of Industrial enzyme.
- Institution/ University: Guru Gobind Singh Inderprastha University, Delhi.
- Total cost: Rs.16.62 lakh.
- Date of Sanction: 17.11.08
Current status: Final Draft of Project report has been submitted. Principal Investigator is asked to submit the revised report. Screening of Mahuwa flower/Sal seed cake as substrate for Solid State Fermentation has been observed and Tannase enzyme is successfully produced from Sal Seed cake using as a substrate.
4) Project: Fermentative Production of Lactic acid from Mahuwa Flowers.
- Institution/ University: Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University , Jammu
- Total cost: Rs. 14.49 Lakh.
- Date of Sanction: 2.12.08
5) Development of integrated post- harvest technology for the production of Quality Minor Forest Products.
- Institution/ University: Institute of Mineral & materials Technology, Bhubaneswar
- Total cost: Rs.10.36 Lakh.
- Date of Sanction: 5.01.09
6) Process Development for isolation of Starch and Tannins from deoiled Sal cake.
- Institution/ University: Bengal Engineering & Science University, Hawrah.
- Total cost: Rs. 12.88 Lakh
- Date of Sanction: 23.12.08
During the year 2009-10 TRIFED sponsored following project on Mahuwa flower:
7) Project : Production of Nutrabeverages from Mahuwa flower
- Institutions/ Universities: Indian Institute of Technology, Hauz Khas, New Delhi & Jaypee University of Information Technology, Solan Jointly.
- Total cost: Rs. 15.20 Lakh
- Date of Sanction 25.08.09.
Current status: Jaypee University of Information Technology: Development of Mahuwa wine & fortified it with Guave & Seabuckthorn for flavor enhancement. Estimation of potential nutraceutical process of developed wine is under process.
Indian Institute of Technology: Developed distilled Mahuwa wine and fortified with spices extract & essential oil for flavor enhancement of distilled wine is under process.